Thursday, October 21, 2010

who i am

I'm just me.  But that doesn't really help, now does it? 
      I am... a rocker.  an artist.  a student.  a swimmer.  a friend.  a sister.  a daughter.  a prankster.  a rebel.  a writer.  an organizer.  a reader.  an eater.  a maniac.  I argue, I contradict, I annoy.  I joke, I laugh, I make others laugh.  I listen, I counsel, I comfort.  I work, I sweat, I succeed.  I lead, I rebel, I ignore.  I follow, I trust, I accept.  I think, I wonder, I cry.  I eat, I drink, I'm merry.  I sing, I dance, I'm joyful.  And, if you give me enough sugar, I might even give you me deluxe Jonas Brother fan impersonation.   But, in a way that has no english adjective, I'm me.  I'm punk, I'm emo, I'm nerd, I'm annoying, I'm a clown, I'm artsy, I'm weird, I'm an athlete.  I've been called all these things and more, but I don't believe it.
      somebody said "generalizations are a necessary evil." I most emphatically agree.  without them, we'd be even more confused than we already are.  But with them, people ask you to generalize yourself.  I've been living with myself for almost fifteen years.  I've seen myself dancing in fluffy pink dresses, I've seen myself put people in choke-holds while playing water polo.  I've seen myself do over a thousand situps without stopping, and I've seen myself spend hours on a couch with popcorn and a tv.  I enjoy dressing up for fancy events, I enjoy running around in ripped jeans, ratty sneakers, and oversize t-shirts.  I like drawing, listening to music, and watching emotional movies.  I also love arguing, writing essays, and planning world domination.  I will spend an hour playing with my little brother, and then I'll be neverendingly annoyed with little kids. 
       The point being, I'm just me.  You can't ask me to define myself and expect to automatically understand me by reading my answer.  I will take a lifetime to understand, and even then you might not get me.  I enjoy that my personality is conflicting, that I can enjoy both math and art, that I can confuse people without even trying.  And most of all, I love noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment